What can you eat after giving birth? Allowed and prohibited foods, nutritional rules
It seems that after giving birth a woman can forget about various prohibitions, however, the nutrition of a nursing mother is still distinguished by a large number of restrictions. Firstly, the mother's diet directly affects the volume and composition of the milk, and, therefore, the health and health of the child.
Secondly, the diet in the first days will depend on how the delivery occurred - either naturally or with a caesarean section. That is why it is necessary to find out in more detail what can be eaten after childbirth, and what foods are for a nursing woman under a strict ban.
Food after childbirth
So that the condition of the woman after the difficult generic process does not worsen, and the development of the newborn proceeded without problems, even at the end of the third trimester it is necessary to know what is allowed to eat and eat immediately after returning to the ward.
However, if you look at the list of banned products, it may seem that in the first day a woman cannot eat anything from regular food. It is not surprising that many mothers are wondering where all the beneficial substances for the baby and the strength to care for will come from.
So, a few words about why there are food restrictions for women in labor:
- Despite the absence of the umbilical cord, the children's body is closely connected with the woman, receiving milk from the nursing mother. In the first days lactation occurs, therefore the composition of the most important product for the newborn child depends on the quality and nutritional value of the products.
- Properly formulated diet is also needed in order to prevent the development of allergies and all sorts of difficulties with the digestion of the child. That is why doctors prohibit the use of highly allergenic products, especially in the first week after birth.
- In addition to the child, mother needs to think about herself. Delivery does not always proceed smoothly, sometimes there are gaps.In such a position it is strictly contraindicated to push. In order to prevent problems with bowel movements, doctors select a special menu suitable for a particular woman.
In addition, nutrition after natural childbirth will differ somewhat from the diet after a cesarean section. The obstetrician knows all these nuances, however, and a nursing mother should get to know them better.
3 principles of nutrition
The lactation process is getting better about 3-5 days after delivery. For a useful product to arrive, as expected, a woman should eat right. HBG experts advise nursing mom to eat fractional - five or six times a day, in small portions.
Milk will be high-quality, enriched with vitamins and mineral components if the mother adheres to several important nutritional principles. Among them:
- optimal order of fluid intake.
These principles will help to "bring" the mother's milk to meet all norms and requirements.
- Food safety
Food consumed by a nursing woman must be safe - it is necessary to exclude products that are potentially dangerous for the infant.
First of all, refuse hyperallergenic substances or those that enhance the fermentation in the gastrointestinal tract. For example, under the strict ban of smoking and marinades.
The nutrition of the nursing mother on the first day after delivery and in the following weeks is very diverse. The list of allowed dishes when establishing lactation is usually given in the maternity hospital, it includes lean meat and fish products, cottage cheese and cheese, “sour milk”.
- Fluid mode
The correct order of consumption of water and other drinks helps to establish lactation. On the first day or two, women are advised to drink more than a liter of fluid per day.
By the third day, the volume decreases, since an excess of drinking during the adjustment period of breastfeeding leads to excessive formation of milk, and this is fraught with chest pain and other unpleasant symptoms.
What to eat after natural childbirth?
The diet in the first days after delivery is somewhat different from the nutrition during breastfeeding. If the birth occurred in the "normal" mode, you should follow the following dietary rules.
- If the birth was normal, but heavy, replete with crotch ruptures, stitches, doctors advise on the first day to eat liquid dishes - watercakes on the water, light soups.
- It is better to abandon the coarse fiber contained in bakery products, raw fruits. Grains will help out (oatmeal, buckwheat, wheat, corn), but you should stay away from rice for at least the first week, as it is strong.
- In the early days of a nursing mother should forget about fatty, salty, fried food. Meat dishes are prepared only from lean veal or poultry.
- "Sour milk" is allowed, but it is important to adhere to the principle of reasonableness. When breastfeeding, a woman should drink low-fat kefir in small portions.
- It is forbidden to eat raw vegetables or fruits! Heat treatment of all dishes - a prerequisite for the diet of nursing mothers. Such a regime is important to comply with the entire first month.
- Eliminate from the diet of allergic foods. Breastfeeding in the first days after childbirth, a woman should forget about chocolate, lemons, honey and dishes that contain chemical additives.
- Caffeinated drinks, including strong tea, will not be necessary for moms on the first day after the birth of the child. About the excess fluid, we have said above, it is not allowed.
Taking into account the above rules, doctors and make a list of permitted products that women can use in the first week after the "average" delivery. Mom is allowed to pamper yourself:
- boiled veal or chicken meat;
- buckwheat or oatmeal boiled in water (it is allowed to put a little vegetable oil and some salt);
- a slice of whole grain bread;
- hard cheese;
- a glass of low-fat kefir, cottage cheese without fruits and sweeteners;
- light soup on vegetable broth without aromatic spices;
- baked apple or banana;
- mineral water without gas, compote of dried fruit, brewing (but without honey).
Approximate diet for natural childbirth
Of course, the menu is made taking into account the individual characteristics of the woman, the characteristics of the generic process, the presence / absence of allergy to certain products. But the approximate menu might look like this:
- The first meal is buckwheat or oatmeal boiled in water.
- Lunch - vegetable soup, where they put potatoes, carrots, onions, a few cauliflower blossoms.
- The last meal is a baked apple or banana. It is allowed to add pasta with cheese crumb.
On the first day, mother needs to drink more, about one and a half liters. Allowed to use compote of dried fruit, currant or cranberry fruit drink, weakly brewed tea is possible.
For mother prepare the same dishes, as in the first days. In addition, you can include in the diet no more than 100 grams of boiled lean veal.
The third day
On this day, the milk is actively arriving, which is why the intake of drinks is limited to no more than a liter. When breastfeeding, a woman can quench her thirst with lemon juice. To do this, put a small slice in your mouth. Water should be drunk in small sips.
- Breakfast - oatmeal with a little butter.
- The second meal is boiled hake or pollack with pasta.
- Dinner - boiled vegetables or stew of vegetables cooked in a double boiler. As an alternative - Ryazhenka mug.
Food after cesarean section
The birth of a child through surgical intervention implies a more cautious approach to nutrition in the first week after birth.This is necessary to give the mother's body time to recover. This is especially true of those women who underwent band surgery. In this case, the intestine will begin to function after a few days.
To normalize the work of the digestive tract on the first day, the woman is given an enema, but if difficulties with bowel movement do not disappear, rectal suppositories are prescribed.
As soon as the digestive tract organs normally earn, and a woman can go to the toilet without medical assistance, they change the postoperative diet for a nursing mother.
The first day after Caesar's
Usually the woman spends the first day in the surgical ward, after anesthesia. That is why she especially does not want to eat, especially since all the necessary elements enter the female body through an IV.
Caesarea woman is allowed to drink only water, in tiny sips. To quench your thirst, lemon juice is squeezed into a mineral water without gas. This simple method allows you to consume less fluid.
The next day, with a clear stabilization of the state and in the absence of negative consequences, the woman is transferred to a regular ward.
Nutrition in the first week resembles diets, recommended for other surgical interventions in the abdominal cavity.
Since the gastrointestinal tract functions insufficiently, dishes are introduced gradually, focusing on their caloric content and digestibility of the stomach.
At first, doctors add beef or chicken broth to the diet, and it is always boiled on third water (they boil water twice and then add allowed vegetables).
The maximum amount of one serving is half a cup. Use the dish twice a day. After approval by the obstetrician, you can add a little meat souffle to the diet.
It is also allowed to eat mashed potatoes, oatmeal or buckwheat porridge. From drinks you can use stewed fruit, rosehip decoction, currant juice or slightly brewed tea.
The third day
These days, the woman is already in a normal state, so the diet becomes more diverse, but you should forget about high-calorie meals.
In the first week, a similar diet is preserved - mother broth and vegetable soup are offered to the mother, but fruits that lead to gas formation and constipation should be avoided.Kashki is also a good option for a caesar woman.
For a variety of diets cooked meatballs or meatballs in a double boiler, boil the fish. You can enjoy low-fat varieties of cheese, natural yogurt and baked apple. It is only important to keep the dishes warm, not cold or hot.
Then the diet becomes the same as after normal delivery. The most important thing is the first week and continue to use products that contribute to the better functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, for example, some dried fruit or compote, beets.
When breastfeeding, a trained woman should follow the same rules that are prescribed to other parturient women. Doctors, by the way, are sure that it is better to eat a slice of salted cucumber than to suffer, looking at it.
However, you should not eat those dishes that are included in the list of prohibited during breastfeeding:
- beans (peas and beans);
- strong brewed tea, coffee drink;
- raw yolks and whites;
- dark chocolate;
- excessively "odorous" vegetables (onions and garlic);
- raw fruits;
- fish roe;
- vegetables, fruits of red, orange color (tomatoes, sweet cherry, etc.);
- citruses and fruits uncharacteristic for our latitudes;
- cucumber and cabbage dishes;
- canned, salted, pickled dishes;
- alcoholic beverages;
- fried and salted mushrooms;
- various shop gravy;
- smoked products and overcooked products.
Properly chosen diet in the first week after birth adjusts the work of the mother's digestive organs, and also helps strengthen children's immunity. When breastfeeding, a woman should follow all the recommendations of the doctor in order to establish lactation and ensure the required amount of milk.
So, the woman immediately after delivery, it is important to adhere to all rules of nutrition. To do this, you need to know what you can eat, and what products should be discarded. If it seems to you that such bans are excessively strict, remember, the first days will fly very soon.
The child will soon grow up, which means that the nursing mother can expand the diet. And now you need to eat properly, balanced and full. It is necessary for a woman and a child.