What are the symptoms of Crohn's disease? How is it diagnosed?
Crohn's disease is called chronicspecific inflammation of the intestine, more often - the area of the small intestine before its transition into the thick. This is one of the most terrible diseases, which is often quite difficult to diagnose; it is characterized by the inflammatory process of the intestinal wall, which causes ulcers, fistulas, perforations and internal bleeding.
Causes of Crohn's Disease
For some reason there is still no reason to findmanaged. It is believed that such damage to the intestine can occur due to infection with the korepodobnym virus (also does not exclude the role of other viruses and bacteria, for example, pseudotuberculous mycobacterium); the occurrence of an abnormal immune response in response to food or some other antigen. Perhaps some of those proteins that make up the intestinal wall cause an abnormal reaction of the defense system, as a result, the antibodies recognize their own intestines as an alien body and begin to attack it.
What are the symptoms of Crohn's disease?
The disease is registered more often in children and young people. "Favorite" his age is from 12 to 30 years.
Three main symptoms of this disease are described: abdominal pain, diarrhea and weight loss. But with Crohn's disease these symptoms have several distinctive features.
- Diarrhea (diarrhea) can look different independing on which parts of the intestine are affected. So, it can be a copious stool containing the remnants of undigested food, which is badly washed from the toilet, and can be feces thicker, with an admixture of blood and mucus. But, unlike other diseases, this is not a permanent symptom. The act of defecation can be accompanied by pain, but there is no painful urge to empty the bowel.
- The main symptoms of Crohn's disease are symptoms of pain in thebelly with localization usually in the lower abdomen and on the right, resembling signs of appendicitis. Painful sensations can be located in the area around the navel, and in the left lower abdomen. Skin-like, they intensify, usually after eating, are weakened after defecation. If this pain was first noted, then it became permanent, and the temperature rose, which could mean that an abscess forms at the site of the inflammation of the intestine.
- The body temperature rises, usually to low digits.
- Weakness, fatigue.
- Loss of appetite until its complete disappearance.
- Weight loss to catastrophic figures, due to the fact that due to intestinal damage there is no absorption of nutrients.
- Sometimes the first evidence of Crohn's disease -symptoms from the rectum and anus: it can form cracks, fistulas, inflammation. This is due to the fact that poorly digested food is an irritant for this area.
- If Crohn's disease appeared in the childhoodage, such a child lags behind in both physical and sexual development. And this may be the only symptom: the belly of a baby does not necessarily hurt, there is almost no diarrhea, or it is periodic and not very pronounced.
- The acute form of Crohn's disease is very similar to acute appendicitis, because of what such patients are operated on, and only this diagnosis is intraoperatively.
- There is also such a form of the disease - stenosing. In this case, abdominal pain is unstable, can be localized every time in different places, sometimes there is an increase in body temperature, which is difficult to find the cause. Occasionally there are pains in different joints. After a while it becomes noticeable that the child lags behind in physical development, besides, he begins to complain of abdominal pain, more often on the right and below, accompanied by rumbling, swelling, gas and stool retention.
If you think that you have Crohn's disease, the symptoms of the diagnosis should be confirmed. Usually such events are held:
1. Radiographic study:
a) Irrigoscopy, when radiopaque barium is injected through the rectum;
b) research when a person drinks barium.
2. Endoscopic examination, when a fiber optic probe of small diameter is inserted into the intestine, and an image of the intestinal wall is seen on the monitor. During such an investigation, a biopsy of suspicious sites for this pathology is taken.
How is Crohn's disease determined? Symptoms, photos of the endoscopic picture of the intestine - the basic criteria, based on which the diagnosis is established.