Voice input: how to use the function on different devices
Modern technologies are not standing still, and today for typing is no longer necessary to use a standard keyboard. Voice input is on most devices. Nevertheless, not all users know how to properly apply it, and what function it performs.
What is voice input for?
Thanks to the voice dialing, you can greatly simplify your life, namely:
- use search engines much faster;
- type messages in social networks and popular instant messengers;
- reply to an SMS message while driving;
- quickly find a contact in the phone's address book;
- type text in google documents.
In this case, voice input can be used both on PC and on smartphones.
In the Google Chrome browser
To quickly type text online, just follow a few simple steps:
- Turn on the microphone.
- Open the document in the Chrome browser.
- Click "Tools" and select "Voice input". A microphone icon should appear.
- Click on this icon (it should turn red) and begin dictation.
- To finish text entry, just click on the microphone icon again. It should turn gray.
Words need to be pronounced as clearly, slowly and loudly. If you use the built-in microphone of the laptop, the system will not understand half of the words - and the output will be unreadable text.
In some situations, it may be necessary to dictate a speaker’s note for a presentation. In this case it is necessary:
- Make sure the microphone works well.
- Open the presentation.
- Click "Tools" and select "dictate notes ...". After that the microphone icon should appear.
- Click on its icon and start dictation.
- To stop voice input, you must click on the microphone icon again.
It requires a good internet connection, otherwise the function is not activated.
On the phone
In modern smartphones with voice dialing, you can perform a lot of tasks. However, most people use this feature to type messages.To activate the voice input on the "Android", you must:
- Set the cursor so that the standard keyboard appears.
- Click on the microphone icon. It is usually located to the left of the space bar. If there is no icon, then you need to hold down the icon with the image of the Earth (language change) and select "Google Voice Input".
- After that, a microphone image will appear on the screen and text recording will automatically begin.
- When the dictation is complete, it is enough to confirm the recording.
Similarly, you can type SMS messages, search for people in a notebook, use search engines, write notes and much more.
The only drawback to using voice typing on smartphones is the internet connection. If the connection is bad, speech recognition will also deteriorate.
To activate interactive text input, you must:
- Go to the Apple menu (the key with the image of an apple).
- Click on "System Settings" and click on "Keyboard". After this, it is necessary to activate the “dictation” function.
In this menu you can make the following settings:
- activate the function of improved dictation (works offline);
- choose a language and dialect;
- specify the microphone used (built-in or external);
- specify the most convenient key combination that will be used to quickly start and end recording.
If Siri is installed on Mac OS, you can activate dictation through it.
To use voice dialing, you need:
- Open a document or any other text field.
- Set a point in the place where you want to start typing text.
- Press the previously specified key combination (by default, the entry is activated when you double-click on Fn). You can also go to the “Edit” tab and select “Start dictation” there.
- Say the text and save it.
- Finish dictation by clicking on “Done” or Fn.
The main advantage of such a voice dialing is that the Mac adapts to the person’s accent, which makes the system better recognize speech.
Sometimes the function does not work or gives errors. Most often, users encounter the following problems:
- "You can hardly hear." If such an error appears on the screen, it is necessary to move to a quieter place, connect another microphone or adjust the volume of the device.
- "Voice commands do not work." In this situation it is necessary to speak more slowly and louder.Between voice commands, it is recommended to pause.
- "Microphone is not working". If such an error appears on the screen, you need to check whether it works on another device. If the microphone is working, you need to check its settings or restart your computer or phone.
Knowing how to turn on voice input can make your life much easier. Similarly, users can type not only short text messages, but entire stories or instructions. On tablets, this function is activated by one of the methods described above.