The spring has fallen: truth and myths
What are fontanels? Why are they not in adults?
The human skull consists of fragments, and in an adult the seams between them are not felt. In the baby, the bone tissue has not yet fully hardened. The ossification starts from the center of the fragment, and the edges harden later. At the junction of several fragments, at the birth of a child, soft membranes remain, which are called fountains. Five small springs are usually not noticed, but on the crown there is a large membrane (from two to three and a half centimeters) - it excites young mothers. The spring has fallen - and mom is already in a panic. In nature, everything makes sense. And fontanelles also perform their function. Thanks to them, during childbirth, the baby's skull can "shrink", passing through the birth canal. Then the child's skull grows, the brain volume increases, and the elastic tissues on the skull do not hinder this growth. In a newborn one can even observe a pulsation on a large spring. During the first year of life, the tissue of the skull completely hardens, the joints between the fragments grow together, and the fontanel "disappears", that is, it also becomes rigid.
Why does a spring flow?
Spring is an elastic membrane.And the membrane has the properties to change its shape: it can be depressed or protruding. If the baby is crying, the membrane “inflates”. But if the child is calm, and the spring is convex, you should contact the pediatrician, possibly increased intracranial pressure. Often worried about mom sunken spring. In this case, pay attention to the amount of fluid that you give your baby. Simply, does he drink enough water? Perhaps dehydration begins. After diarrhea or vomiting, give the baby a drink. A slight depression, to the level of the lower wall of the skull bone, is the normal state of a large spring. If the membrane goes down deeper, we can say that the spring has fallen. On regular preventive examinations of newborns, the doctor always pays attention to the condition of fontanels. Most often, the panic of the mother is in vain. And yet: do not hesitate to ask the doctor about all the nuances that you care. There is a very true statement that the most stupid question is unasked.
Hardening, or overgrowth of the fontanel, occurs in different ways. Most often this happens in the second half of the child’s life.The rate of overgrowing is largely dependent on genetic inheritance. Significantly affects the closing of the fontanel and how well the body absorbs calcium. There are cases when the spring is closed even up to six months, and sometimes this process takes up to two years. If your baby is already two years old, and the spring is still "breathing", pay attention to this pediatrician. The reasons may be different, so the doctor should examine the child and give you the necessary advice.
Special care does not require a spring. The “soft part” is washed in the same way as the child’s entire head. In case a small squash or peeling is formed on the temechke, it is necessary to lubricate with olive oil or baby oil from the first-aid kit. Then the child should be redeemed, wetted with a towel, carefully “combed out” growths and smear again. Do not be afraid to touch the fontanel, you do not harm the child.
- A large spring is an indication that a child has rickets. Rickets is absolutely irrelevant to the size of the spring. With rickets in children, “softened bones” rather than a large spring.
- You can not drink vitamin D, because the spring is small.If the baby needs vitamin "D", then it needs to be drunk. The size of the fontanel has nothing to do with it.
- My child is sick because the spring has fallen. Most likely, your child is completely healthy, just let him drink more water.
- The child has rickets, because the spring does not overgrow for a long time. They again blame rickets, but he is not at fault here. Examine the child if the spring does not close before the age of two.
- You can not touch the fontanel, the brain is damaged. The living membrane - the fontanel reliably protects the child's brain. You can, without fear of bathing, stroking, combing, kissing - with the brain will be all right.
- The child is sick, because "the spring has fallen and has sprung out, has fallen and has been sticking out".