Temperature 40 in a child: what to do?
From the article you will learn about why a child's temperature can rise to 40 and how to deal with it. Is this a dangerous condition? To begin with, it should be noted that the temperature of our body very much depends on external factors (for example, on the external environment, time of day, physical activity, psycho-emotional state, etc.). An adult normally has a body temperature of 36.6 degrees. It is important to bear in mind that for a small child this indicator may slightly increase, literally by half a degree: up to thirty-seven. It is also important that children are more dependent on various external factors.
Temperature in a child without symptoms
From this section you can find out why the temperature of a child with no symptoms has risen to 40. The most common reasons:
- overheating - you can not overly wrap the child, especially in the warm season;
- long walk in hot weather;
- long stay in a stuffy room;
- over excitement;
- vaccine administration - in this case, the thermometer very rarely rises above the 38 degree mark;
- allergy - if the temperature has risen to a frightening mark, then it is worth analyzing everything that you gave to your baby today (drugs, meals), carefully examine the skin, sometimes an allergic rash is not so much striking;
- stress - this may include the first visit to the kindergarten, the first bell at school, but with such a fever, the temperature usually does not exceed 38 degrees;
- the onset of the disease - bacteria and viruses that have entered the child’s body can easily provoke a disease, which on the first day can only be manifested by high fever without other symptoms;
- teething - usually the temperature does not exceed 38 degrees, but if several teeth start cutting together, the temperature can reach 40.
In the latter case, carefully inspect the baby's gums, use special preparations. If the temperature lasts for several days, then it is worth calling a doctor. After all, this problem could be joined by another dangerous pathology.
Temperature at poisoning
Temperature 40 in a child can be caused by poisoning. First you need to say that provoke such a high fever can:
- animal and plant poisons (fungi, plants, fish);
- chemical substances.
In this case, it is necessary to do a gastric lavage. Please note that there will be severe dehydration, which can be corrected by dispensing a child with mineral water or “Regidron”, which can be purchased at any pharmacy.
Of course, it is better to entrust this business to a specialist and call an ambulance. Be sure to do this if the child has the following symptoms:
- loss of consciousness;
- vision problems;
- hearing impairment;
- severe vomiting;
- abdominal pain.
Temperature 40 in a child, together with all these symptoms, may indicate poisoning by chemicals or poisons.
Other causes of fever
Remember that the heat in a child is much more dangerous than in an adult. Temperature is a protective mechanism. But at very high rates it is necessary to act immediately.Already with an indicator above 40.3 degrees, the processes leading to swelling of the brain begin to develop. This is a line for which you can never step over.
On the forums, mothers often ask the question: if a child is 2 years old, and the temperature is 40, what to do? First you need to determine the cause, only then you can take any action. The following high temperature provocateurs are very common:
- scarlet fever;
- sore throat and so on.
A little more is to get acquainted with some of them.
The cause of temperature 40 in a child can be pneumonia. Among the symptoms of this disease include the following:
- hyperthermia (from 38 to 40 degrees);
- severe cough (both dry and wet);
- when wet cough, a large amount of sputum;
- soreness when breathing;
- sensation of vatnost body;
- choking and others.
Treatment should be done only by an experienced specialist. As a rule, children with pneumonia are sent to the hospital. The following drugs are prescribed:
Some mothers in a panic ask the question: if the year is a child, the temperature is 40, what to do and how to bring the temperature down? It is not that simple. Before you stuff your child with pills, you need to understand the cause of this phenomenon, pay attention to other symptoms. With bronchitis, they are as follows:
- temperature from 37 to 40 degrees;
- chest pain;
- poor appetite or lack of it;
You should also pay attention to the fact that there are three types of bronchitis that require different therapy. As a rule, the attending physician prescribes:
- chest x-ray;
- sputum culture.
Only after that proceed to treatment. The following drugs are usually prescribed:
- broad-spectrum antibiotics;
- mucolytics that promote sputum discharge;
- anti-inflammatory drugs;
- drugs to improve immunity;
First, select the symptoms. These include:
- temperature under 40 in a child;
- muscle pain;
- joint pain;
- pain in the head (the region of the temples, forehead, eyeballs);
- poor appetite;
- superficial sleep;
- sore throat and sore throat;
- runny nose and nasal congestion.
The following symptoms are less common:
- loss of consciousness;
The treatment is carried out at home, and in severe cases - in the hospital. It is necessary to adhere to the following recommendations:
- consuming large amounts of fluid;
- taking ascorbic acid or multivitamins;
- use of antiviral drugs.
Symptomatic therapy is prescribed:
- drugs based on paracetamol for pain relief;
- to eliminate hyperthermia;
- means for the discharge of sputum;
- antitussive drugs;
- herbal inhalations.
- sore throat more than two days;
- difficulty swallowing;
- ear pain;
- poor appetite;
- lethargy or irritability;
- red throat;
- enlarged glands;
- the presence of white plaque on the glands;
- high body temperature;
- pain on palpation of the cervical lymph nodes;
- hoarseness or lack of voice.
- bed rest;
- isolation of the patient;
- use of personal care items;
- sparing diet;
- drink plenty of water;
- antimicrobial therapy;
- taking antihistamines;
- vitamin b;
- ascorbic acid;
- local treatment (gargling, spraying aerosols in the pharynx).
Temperature 40 in a child - what should parents do? So, the correct procedure is:
- Call an ambulance. The medical staff will examine the child and make an intramuscular injection of a lytic mixture that will quickly cope with the heat.
- While waiting for the doctor, try to normalize the temperature. Open the child, let's drink more (better saline solution), wipe the limbs and face with water.
- If the child is more than five years old, it is possible to make vinegar rubbing. At the same time, the solution should not be concentrated: add three drops of vinegar to a container with water.
- Alcohol rubbing is suitable for small children (it is necessary to mix the alcohol with water).
Be sure to give your child more to drink, make sure that the liquid does not contain sugar and does not provoke the fastest development of bacteria and viruses.
How to bring down the temperature of 40 in a child? This will help antipyretics. The most popular ones are:
- Candles "Cefikon D".
- "Panadol" and others.
Together with these fundscompresses can be used. Cut the gauze into small pieces, soak in mint broth and attach to the following areas:
Change them every 10 minutes.