GNU Central Botanical Garden, Minsk: overview, features and reviews
Botanical garden - the decoration of any city. This is a green paradise, where a resident of the metropolis forgets about the bustle of the city, traffic jams and queues. It seems that you are far from this, although you have only gone beyond the garden fence. Here you can see in the greenhouses exotic plants that are not typical for the climate of these places. The article introduces the reader to the Botanical Garden of Minsk, the capital of a neighboring state. After an oral excursion you will certainly want to include it among the must-see sights of the city.
The Central Botanical Garden of Minsk is not just a beautiful park. It is a state scientific institution (GNU). It is the largest center for the conservation of biological diversity of living plants in Belarus. Also Botanical Garden boasts the presence of modern technologies in the field of acclimatization, introduction, molecular biology, plant ecology and biochemistry.
Both research and practical activities of the workers of the Botanical Garden in Minsk in the field of plant introductions provided the state with a host of economically useful and decorative introduced plants. And this is today more than 12 thousand items! The plant gene pool is a national treasure of the Republic of Belarus.
Minsk Botanical Garden is a few unique zones:
- Lake complex.
- Alley of a small-leaved linden.
- Exposition greenhouse.
- Central parterre.
- Alley of Pennsylvania Peninsula.
- Alley spruce European.
The territory of the garden is divided into sectors according to the botanical and geographical principle:
- Crimea and the Caucasus.
- East Asia.
- Far East.
- North America.
- Middle Asia.
The exhibition greenhouse of the Minsk Botanical Garden can offer the following:
- 600 species of tropical and subtropical plants;
- 100 varieties of citrus;
- 60 varieties of lemons;
- 15 varieties of oranges;
- 10 types of mandarins;
- 10 grapefruit varieties.
The institution belongs to the largest botanical gardens in Europe:
- By area. The total territory of the Minsk Botanical Garden is more than 100 hectares.
- According to the composition of plants. Here are more than 10 thousand different names.
The Central Botanical Garden of Minsk provides for its visitors all year round the following interesting excursions:
- "Biodiversity of the plant world". The tour takes place on the basis of the Botanical Garden collections, as well as the exhibition greenhouses - tropical, fruit, citrus. For students of relevant universities have the opportunity to get acquainted with the stock greenhouses. Duration - 30-40 minutes.
- "The fascinating world of subtropics and tropics". Excursion on the basis of exposition greenhouses. Here you can directly get acquainted with the strange plants of the deserts, Southeast Asia, South and Central America, Australia, Mediterranean countries, monsoon forests and coastal zones. Duration - 30-40 minutes.
- "Home Friends". Special excursion for kids and elementary school students. Held in the exhibition greenhouses of the garden. Its duration is 30 minutes.
You can get acquainted with the unique plants of the Botanical Garden of Minsk by planning the time of your visit:
- "The World of Citrus" (November-March).The excursion takes place in lemonaries - a unique, unique citrus greenhouse in this country. This is not only fruit, but also an unforgettable aroma of lemons, oranges, tangerines, grapefruits. Duration - 30 minutes.
- Sightseeing tour of the garden (spring-autumn). The guide will acquaint you directly with the history of the Minsk Botanical Garden, its layout, and features of landscape architecture. You will see the most interesting expositions and corners of the garden, alternating decorative floral collections, flowering trees and shrubs.
- "The World of Solar Plants" (November-March). Special excursion for preschoolers and elementary school students. Guys in a game form are introduced to the citrus collection of the Botanical Garden. Duration - 30 minutes.
- "Deciduous and coniferous plants". The tour covers the arboretum of the Botanical Garden. Including the zones of North America, the Far East, Asia, Europe, the Crimea, Siberia, the North Caucasus, Central Asia. The duration of the tour is 30-40 minutes.
- "Pharmaceutical garden" (July-August). The excursion is devoted to spicy, aromatic, medicinal plants of the Minsk Botanical Garden. Its duration is standard - 30-40 minutes.
Do you think that winter in botanical gardens is quieting down life? You are deeply mistaken! Greenhouses are also open to visitors. In addition, in winter the Botanical Garden of Minsk is worth a visit, and for one more reason - an unusual exhibition of ice sculptures is arranged here.
Tell you more. Ice sculptures in the Botanical Garden of Minsk - this is the festival "World of Crystals". In 2018, it was already the fourth time.
By the way, this year it could well not take place due to the unfavorable temperature - strictly minus is necessary for the manufacture of sculptures. But everything went well. For masters 20 large-scale ice cubes were delivered.
The craftsmen themselves point out that this is a very pleasant material. It is soft, malleable - not like a stone. Not only chisels and files, but also benzo, electric saws are used. And even hair dryers and irons to make the sculptures smooth.
Nine teams participated in the last festival. They created 10 ice sculptures in the Botanical Garden of Minsk. Visitors could admire them every day from 10.00 to 17.00. In the Botanical Garden of Minsk, the price of admission is 7 Belarusian rubles (about 200 Russian rubles at the present rate).
The Botanical Garden is open to visitors on all days of the week, except Mondays (sanitary day). Opening hours are as follows:
- Landscape areas: 10.00-20.00.
- Exposition galleries: 10.00-19.00.
There are two entrances to the park:
- Central. From the side of Independence Avenue (the nearest metro station is Park Chelyuskintsev). Tickets are purchased at the box office at the main entrance. It is open from 10.00 to 19.00 (Monday is a day off).
- Official. Street Surganova, 2B. Tickets are purchased in the shop "Flowers". On weekdays it is open from 10.00 to 18.00. At the weekend - from 10.00 to 17.00. Closed on Monday.
Be careful: the entrance for visitors to the landscape area closes at 19.00. At the same time, the sale of entrance tickets to the Botanical Garden is also terminated.
We will deal with the price of tickets (1 Belarusian ruble = 32 Russian):
- Full ticket to the park - 7 rubles.
- Discount ticket (for schoolchildren, full-time students of colleges and universities, retirees, including the CIS countries - upon presentation of a document) - 4 rubles.
- Free admission - for disabled people of all groups, participants of the Second World War, orphans, large families, preschool children, as well as persons accompanying excursion groups (1 accompanying person for 10 people).
- Photo and video festivities - 25 rubles.
- Excursion to the lemon garden - 5 rubles per visitor.
- Excursion to the exposition greenhouse: up to 10 people - 15 rubles per group, up to 20 people - 20 rubles.
- Excursion around the landscape zone: up to 10 people - 15 rubles per group, up to 20 people - 20 rubles.
Finally, we will acquaint the reader with the reviews of garden visitors:
- One and all claim that the garden is beautiful, well-groomed and fragrant. Here is peace and quiet, a heavenly place for walking.
- Visitors note: there are landmarks, posters, kiosks with ice cream - everything is equipped for a comfortable stay.
- In greenhouses with tropical plants can be found and funny animals.
- Many argue that this is one of the best places to stay in Minsk: beautiful plants, well-groomed alleys, coolness from the pond, comfortable benches, kiosks where you can buy water or a snack.
- The best time to visit is May. Then in the landscape area you can see the flowering of extraordinary plants, enjoy their aroma, make memorable pictures.
- Some visitors are sure that the garden is not suitable for frequent visits, as in this case it becomes boring here. Not all seasons landscape area is equally beautiful and attractive.
- Someone complains that the cost of admission is too high, because the garden does not resemble modern botanical zones, but looks more like a Soviet station of naturalists.
The Botanical Garden in Minsk is one of the most iconic sights of the city. He has no equal in the whole of Belarus. In addition, in a number of indicators he is also a European record holder. The garden is worth a visit because of the diverse landscape area, the wealth of its exhibition greenhouses. Here, a whole year is never boring - excursions to the world of citrus and ice sculptures in winter, flowering of plants in landscaped areas in summer, year-round work of greenhouses with plants of the tropics and subtropics.