French curtains. Development of design and tailoring of French curtains do it yourself
Curtains are the main element of the interior. They perform not only a decorating function, but also a protective one, hiding the room from other people's views and preventing the penetration of bright sunlight. However, in order for window drapery to look decent, it is necessary to choose the right product design.
Fans of lightness and airiness most often choose French curtains. Such models are quite voluminous, which gives the room a certain theme. The originality of the design will create a cozy and comfortable space.
Any hostess can sew such curtains by herself. All items made by hand, have a special meaning. To help all who wish to try their hand at handicrafts below, we set forth detailed information, where a master class of French curtains will be presented.
What is the design feature?
The traditional design of the French curtains came in modern interiors from the distant XIV century. At that time, they were at the peak of their popularity and were used to decorate palaces and royal chambers. Only prosperous people could, of course, allow themselves such luxury. However, at present, such a drapery has somewhat conceded its position to other options. Nevertheless, it still remains quite popular.
French curtains, made with their own hands, will decorate any room: living room, study, kitchen, bedroom. They will transform the interior, giving it a smooth and soft lines. Such an opportunity appears due to a certain style. Its main elements are scallops. They form beautiful lush folds, the distance between them and the number can vary considerably. Their shape is arcuate, freely hanging.
The width and height of the curtains are determined by the size of the window opening, however, you need to remember that they are not moved apart. Some models are made with a lifting mechanism (manual or electric).
A bit of France in the interior
People who want to create a majestic and stylish interior, it is recommended to stop the choice on the classics. That it includes all the necessary elements.Such a space is truly royal, and if it is supplemented with curtains with festoons, then, in addition to pompousness, romanticism peculiar to the French will appear. To this day, such a design is in great demand, and, oddly enough, the design is original.
French curtains for the kitchen, office, living room will look as harmonious as possible if the window openings in the room are large enough. In order to independently create such a style, correctly transferring all the details, you need to familiarize yourself with the key points:
- The length of the curtain can be up to the floor or to the window sill.
- The material is selected light and transparent to give lightness to the product.
- The curtain is sewn only from solid canvas.
- Sections with folds should be at least four.
- Festoons, located vertically, visually increase the height of the room.
- The appearance of the curtains does not require additional draping, but if necessary, you can use thick curtains and pelmets.
- The original design of the product can decorate any interior.
- If you sew french curtains with your own hands, it will turn out to be quite inexpensive.
- The installed lifting mechanism makes it easy to raise or lower window drapes.
- Freely falling folds will relieve the hostess from time-consuming ironing.
Fulfillment of desires
So, it was decided to sew the curtains independently. How to start this process? First of all, you need to choose the right material. It must meet the following requirements:
It is not recommended to sew French curtains from heavy fabrics, as the finished product will look rather rough and too catchy, which will only spoil the overall impression of the room.
In order for everything in harmony in the interior, you need to carefully select the palette. One of the determining factors is the purpose and style of the room. Also pay attention to the location of the windows. However, even regardless of this, it is highly recommended not to use too bright artificial shades, as they will break the idyll.
French curtains are most harmonious in pastel colors:
- sweet peach;
- quiet beige;
- white is a classic of the genre;
- azure sky;
- glam pink
In any case, the choice of colors is completely individual, depends on personal preferences, but still it is necessary to take into account the recommendations of qualified designers.
Before undertaking independent sewing of the French curtains, it is necessary to study the fineness of the material calculation. As a rule, the length of the cornice is taken as the main parameter, the fold allowance is also taken into account. Do not forget about the seams, their width is from 1 to 2 cm, so 4-6 cm should be added to the available dimensions.
The pattern of the French curtains shows the exact size between the rings, through which the cords will be stretched. From this we can conclude that the final length of the product will be significantly reduced. In order to find the ideal parameter, you will need to measure the desired size and increase this figure by 1.5-2.5 times (the coefficient varies depending on the depth of the folds). Be sure to this length is added to 5 cm above and below.
- curtain width: the average length of the eaves 150-250 cm is multiplied by a factor of 1.5-2 for light folds, by 2.5 - for deep festoons;
- curtain height: the length of the wall from the ceiling to the floor or window sill is increased 1.5-2-2.5 times.
How to sew French curtains: a phased description
Having decided on the material, color, having calculated the width and length, you can proceed directly to tailoring. It is very important to choose a convenient place where you can freely expand the canvas.
- The fabric unfolds, checks the evenness of the cutting line on all sides. If defects are found, it is necessary to fix them with scissors.
- Seam processing. The side edges are turned 1-2 cm, then they are basted and ironed. After this, having checked the quality of the work, it can be stitched with machine seam.
- The bottom edge is processed in a similar way, however the size of the hem in the final result should be no more than 0.5 cm.
- On the canvas to make a mark according to the pattern (see above), to determine the place of the patch of the ribbon with the rings. The distance between it should be equal to the gap the entire length of the curtain. After that, pick up the braid, check whether it has not moved during this process, and, having convinced of the high-quality work, finally stitch it on the sewing machine. In this case, the ends of the braid are turned inward so that the inside of the edge and the curtains coincide.
- A drawstring is passed through the rings on the braid, securing the curtains from the bottom and stretching. The top edge is not machined if a lifting mechanism is installed.
The last step is sewing the upper edge. As a rule, French curtains are attached to a special strip, which is subsequently installed on the eaves. Thanks to this device, the canvas can be leveled directly on the window opening, adjusting it to the exact dimensions. However, before attaching to the plank, it is necessary to process the upper edge. To do this, first bend the fabric width of 1 cm more than the mounting tape. It is advisable to iron the material to keep its shape. After the tape is sewn on the wrong side. That's all, the French curtain is ready.